BMC Drives Sustainable Bitcoin Mining: 63% Renewable Energy, 43% Global Share
The Bitcoin Mining Council (BMC) reports progress in sustainable energy and efficiency, with H1 2023 data revealing significant strides.
BMC’s Key Stats for H1 2023:
- Hash Rate: 158 EH
- YoY Hash Rate Increase: 70%
- BMC’s Share of Global Bitcoin Network: 43.4%
- Sustainable Power Mix by BMC: 63.1%
- Global Bitcoin Mining Sustainable Energy Mix: 59.9%
- Technological Efficiency: 26.1 EH per GW
- YoY Efficiency Increase: 24%
- Bitcoin Mining in Curtailment: 2.5 GW
- Energy to Local Grids: 815 GWh
The BMC, uniting global Bitcoin miners, aims for transparency and to highlight benefits.
From 24 EH in early 2022, BMC’s hash rate surged to 158 EH in Q2 2023, a 70% YoY growth.
BMC holds 43.4% of the global Bitcoin Mining Network, across six continents, using 63.1% renewable energy. This aids global mining’s sustainable energy at 59.9%.
Bitcoin gives back. Global Bitcoin Network’s efficiency increased by 24% YoY, from 21.1 EH per GW in H1 2022 to 26.1 EH per GW in H1 2023.
H1 2023 saw 2.5 GW of Bitcoin mining curtailing, releasing 815 GWh to local grids, mainly in the US and Canada.
BMC includes Argo Blockchain, BitDeer, Bitfarms, Celsius Network, Consensus Mining, Compass Mining, Core Scientific, Galaxy Digital, Hive Blockchain, Hut8, Marathon Digital Holdings, Poolin, Riot Blockchain, Summit, and more.